Monday, September 7, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEinVbOy7XtFGeVI295p9OjCJn4piQNLUDFOVtpK24tQdcQOTl6-wrBedmlJ66wszTwahA2u2Oe1yU6kMpTeiUoBSNyqIzyThNPNFK6KBf4lNswSNyYfhHh2T06OTMUG4BcoaNVLroS58uU/s400/baking-from-my-home-to-yours.jpg
In what undoubtedly will be remembered as my most desperate back to school coping strategy, I have joined the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers.

This could be trouble.

It all began in January 2007 when Laurie of Quirky Cupcake received Dorie Greenspan's classic baking book, "Baking, From My Home to Yours" for Christmas. The rest is baking (and probably Weight Watchers) history. Today, approximately 250 blogging bakers are working their way through the book at a pace of one recipe a week. This week, I became one of them.

Oh boy.

I've been a Dorie Greenspan fan for a long time. I adore her Corniest Corn Muffin recipe, and just this weekend I made World Peace Cookies and Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chipsters to take to a lovely Labor Day cookout hosted by our friends Pat and Sue. On the savory side, nothing beats her Sea Scallops and Beet and Tomato Salsa, especially if you belonged to our CSA this year and had to be creative with beets. I mean a lot of beets.

I have been hinting about the book for months, but the wine guy prefers to give little blue boxes. Finally I broke down and got it myself with a 40% off Borders coupon. I like a little bargain with my butter.

One of the rules, and let me add that I LOVE that there are rules, is that participants have to post about the week's confection on Tuesday. Since I'm going for "proficient" and not "advanced" in this endeavor, I won't be baking every week. But check on Tuesdays to see my progress!

So this year, September brings a new crop of students along with Apple Turnovers and Cottage Cheese Pufflets. Ahhh, the hope and expectation of a new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment